Research Associate, Centre for Health Equity Research, Training and Evaluation, UNSW Sydney
One of Asia-Pacific’s leading research-intensive Universities
Strong regional and global engagement
Cutting edge facilities and equipment
Location Sydney (Liverpool) NSW Australia
This position is based at the Centre of Health Equity Training, Research and Evaluation and works across our decision support, locational disadvantage and indigenous health streams of work and contributes to emerging work in the area of the built environment. Our mission is to co-create intelligence for better health in and beyond South Western Sydney. Our research is driven by strong values including equity, participation, good governance and social justice working in partnership with institutional and community stakeholders. It focuses on the spectrum of distal to proximal social determinants of health. CHETRE is home to a tradition in Health impact Assessment (HIA) and locational disadvantage research. The Research Associate would be working on a range of projects including health impact assessments (research and training), evaluating interventions and developing and managing research projects across our decision support, locational disadvantage and indigenous health streams of work. You will also support capacity building activities and help identify, foster and sustain collaborative relationships in support of this work, including in the areas of government, health service, research and community. The role of Research Associate reports to Program Manager, Communities and Population Research, and has no direct reports.
About the role
$73k – $97k p.a. plus (9.5% superannuation and leave loading)
6 months Fixed Term position with possibility of renewal
Full-time or Part time
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
• Contribute to an ongoing program of local, national and international research in community, population, planning and policy approaches to address health inequities.
• Undertake research activities including: project management, effectively liaising with relevant staff and management to facilitate project activities, preparing ethics applications, data collection, data analysis, and dissemination activities including writing project reports and peer reviewed publications.
• Work with CHETRE leadership and partners, identify research and funding opportunities and prepare funding applications.
• Prepare and conduct capacity building activities in health equity and health impact assessment including learning by doing programs and undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
• Develop and contribute to CHETRE’s partnerships and maintain existing relationships.
• Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
• A post graduate qualification in Public Health/Health Promotion/Social and Political science or equivalent professional qualification with subsequent related experience
• Experience in community, population health, indigenous health and/or health policy research, in particular in relation to health equity, social determinants of health and decision support tools such as HIA.
• Demonstrated research skills including research design, data collection, literature review, and data analysis.
• Demonstrated experience and sound skills in project management, from project inception to implementation and evaluation
• Preferred experience in capacity building and/or teaching.
• Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team and use initiative.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a wide range and types of stakeholders including the demonstrated ability to prepare reports, peer reviewed publications, grant applications and project plans.
• Demonstrated experience in managing competing priorities and diverse project requirements to ensure a high standard of work is delivered on time
• Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria in your application.
You may be required to undergo pre-employment checks prior to appointment to this role.
All candidates who wish to apply for the role must apply online.
Applications close: 11:00pm 26th September 2018
To apply for this job please visit external-careers.jobs.unsw.edu.au.