The objects of the Association are to encourage and promote the development and conduct of health services research, in order to promote improved health services delivery and improved health; and in particular to:
- Promote the development of sustainable capacity in the field of health services research;
- Facilitate and promote communication and collegiality among researchers engaged in health services research;
- Facilitate and promote the regular exchange of views across researchers and policymakers, managers, clinicians and other interested parties;
- Promote the education and development of researchers and others working in health services research;
- Encourage the development of strategically important research;
- Promote excellence in health services research.
- Advocate for appropriate levels of funding for health services research in Australia and New Zealand.